Summer is a great time to take your pet for longer walks and let them play outdoors, but it’s not without its dangers.
Most people understand that their pets need to stay hydrated and take breaks in the shade every once in a while. They might check for ticks when playing in tall grasses or wooded areas, and be sure to never leave their pet in a hot car.
These are signs of a responsible pet owner, however, it’s not all they have to worry about.
A number of flowering plants can be poisonous to pets, too. Knowing how to recognize these plants, and keep your pet out of harms way, will help you make the most of the summer, and time spent with your animals.
Remember to contact your veterinarian if you have any questions about your pet’s health, and use this list to help avoid any unpleasant emergencies. Here are 10 flowers that pose serious problems for our furry friends:
Several species of lilies are poisonous to cats and dogs, including the Peace, Peruvian, and Calla.
According to the Pet Poison Hotline, oxalate crystals in the flowers can cause irritation in the mouth, tongue, and throat, typically resulting in excess drooling.
True lilies, including Asiatic, Day, Easter, Tiger and Japanese Show lilies are much more toxic to animals. Ingesting just a few petals can cause kidney failure.
Like any other health concern, the Pet Poison Hotline recommends taking any animals who have eaten lilies to a veterinarian, though it’s also helpful to induce vomiting, possibly discharging the poison.
9. Lily of the Valley
Often found in wooded areas, the small white bells of the Lily of the Valley are pretty to look at, as well as smell, but they harbor a deadly secret. These plants can be deadly to animals and small children who eat them.
It’s not just the flowers that can send you to the hospital; the entire plant is toxic. Gardening Know How reports that Lily of the Valley is suffuse with glycosides, which can interfere with the heart’s ability to pump blood.
Commons symptoms of Lily of the Valley ingestion are stomach pains, blurred vision, irregular pulse, sometimes even vomiting or diarrhea and in the worst cases, seizures and death.
If you have these plants in your yard, it may be best to take them out.